From Labor Day weekend through the end of the month, several events are planned in Dent County.
The following is a list of events. See the calendar on page 2B of The Salem News and the online calendar at thesalemnewsonline.com each week for additional information and activities.
• Aug. 30-Sept. 1: Ron’s Race for a Reason at Flat Nasty Off-road Park.
• Aug. 31: The American Volunteers are hosting the Off-Road Swap Meet at Flat Nasty Off Road Park starting at 8 a.m. There will be a new and used off road extravaganza, auto parts and accessories. A gun raffle is at 8 a.m. Reserve your spot for $10. For information, contact 729-1394.
• Aug. 31-Sept 1: Fifth Annual Salem Chamber Rodeo Labor Day weekend at Dent County Commons. Advance tickets are available at the chamber office, Bank of Salem, Town & Country Bank, Progressive Ozark Bank and Riverways Federal Credit Union.
• Aug. 31-Sept. 1: Hippie Fest is a grassroots festival where free-spirited people from across the country gather to celebrate peace, love, and all things groovy. Returning noon-7 p.m. at Whispering Pines Campground in Jadwin, the event features live music, group camping, bohemian shopping, vintage hippie car show, DIY tie-dye, giant bubble garden, cirque performers, kids’ activities, delicious food, beer and more. All ages welcome. Kids 10 and under free. Limited tickets remain, reserve tickets while they last at HippieFest.org.
• Sept. 4-8: 37th Annual Hillbilly Tour will be hosted by the Heart of the Ozarks Chapter. This area is home to stunning bluffs, caves, forests, and wildlife; trophy trout fishing; and historic sites. The model T club will tour the picturesque country on meandering roads.
• Sept. 7: Second Annual Mouse Race hosted by Salem Rotary Club at Salem Community Center @ the Armory. Doors open 6:30 p.m. Entry fee is $6 per person or $10 per couple. Children under 6 are free. Reserve a table for 8. Cake and pie bake auction. Sponsored by Salem United Methodist Church. Cash bar available, as well as snacks. Proceeds come back to the community for various programs such as scholarships, backpack programs and more.
• Sept. 7: The Friends of the NRA banquet will start at 5 p.m. For ticket information contact Faron Teague at 729-9593 at Indian Trail Archery.
• Sept. 7-8: Current River Blue Oval Rally is back again. The show is open to all makes. More information in upcoming issues or on facebook via the Midwest Blue Oval Club page.
• Sept. 12: The Phelps Health Medical Group Salem grand opening will take place 4:30 p.m.-6 p.m. at the new location, 1415 West Scenic Rivers Boulevard. Join Phelps Health as it celebrates the grand opening of our new Salem clinic. This event is open to the public. Light refreshments and giveaways will be available.
• Sept. 14: Outlaw Race 4, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at Flat Nasty. The event is hosted by Outlaw Off Road Racing.
• Sept. 21: Seventh Annual Smokin’ Hot Veterans Cook-off will take place at the American Legion Post 99 on Hwy. 32 west. Sign up to cook by Sept. 11. Judging begins at 3 p.m. Dinner follows around 5 p.m. Cooking will take place at the post all day. To enter and hear rules, contact Clint, Ryan or John at the post, 729-3710.